vCenter Configuration Manager 5.7 adds enhanced operating system patching, improved vSphere support, additional platform support, and other new features and options. This release also provides a new installation interface for typical installations, which is described in the Installation section.
The enhancements to VCM Patching provide automated patching deployment, improved Linux and UNIX operating system patching, and the ability to set patching exceptions.
- Dynamic patching assessment templates for Linux, UNIX, and Windows use filter criteria to create the dynamic membership of bulletins for the patching template used in the assessment. When new patch content is available in VCM, the bulletin membership of a dynamic assessment template is updated automatically.
- Automatic patch deployment occurs for Linux, UNIX, or Windows managed machines when certain events occur, such as a change in the bulletin membership of an assessment template, a change in patch status, a change in machine group membership, or updated patch applicability.
- Automated Linux and UNIX patch deployment process that downloads, stages, and deploys patch bulletins to managed machines. The benefits of the automated process are that large patches can be downloaded and copied to target machines before the scheduled patch deployment time, reducing the duration of the maintenance window required for patching the machines, and that patches can be downloaded from the Internet when needed rather than requiring all patch content be downloaded in advance.
- Patching exceptions are used to ensure that certain patches known to cause issues are not installed on a subset or all machines.
Linux, UNIX, and Mac OS X Agent Installation
To increase the speed at which you can deploy the VCM Agent to your Linux, UNIX, and Mac OS X machines, you can easily install the Agent files on the target machines from the VCM user interface.
Enhanced VMware vSphere Support
The improvements in the VCM 5.7 release support faster vSphere collections and the ability to limit the amount of collected data for vCenter Server hosts, host datastores, and guest virtual machines using custom collection filters.
Improved VCM Diagnostic Data
Diagnostic information about how well VCM is operating in your environment is now available. This information includes insight into the VCM instance’s usage state and usage trends, the ability to track the VCM database size and the database update performance, and visibility into Linux and UNIX standard output and standard error streams.
New Color Scheme
The user interface color scheme is updated to align with standard VMware colors. The navigation remains the same.
Active Directory Groups
With VCM 5.7, you can use Active Directory domain groups for login access to VCM without collecting VCM data from a domain controller. Group logins that were added prior to VCM 5.7 are automatically converted to the new capability during the upgrade process.
New reports are added in VCM 5.7.
- Virtual Environments Virtual Devices Details
- Compliance Badge Mapping Result By Object
- Compliance Badge Mapping Result By Template
NFS Mounted File System Support
VCM 5.7 lets you collect NFS mounted file systems data that includes, but is not limited to, information about permissions, size, checksum values, and contents of files from NFS client machines. Earlier this data could only be collected if VCM agent was installed on the NFS server machine.
Virtual Environment Platform Support
You can collect virtual environment data from the following additional platforms.
- vSphere 5.0 Update 2
- vSphere 5.1 Update 1
- vCloud Director 1.5.2
- vCloud Director 5.1.2
- vCloud Networking and Security 5.1.1 (formerly vShield)
- vCloud Networking and Security 5.1.2 (formerly vShield)
Managed Machines Platform Support
VCM 5.7 adds support for the following platforms.
- CentOS 5 and 6 (Patching is not supported on these platforms)
- Mac OS X 10.8
- Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 and 6 (Patching is not supported on these platforms)
- Solaris 11 (Patching is not supported on this platform)
- Windows Server 2012 Standard edition
- Windows Server 2012 Essentials edition